Monday 11 February 2013

Elsa Schiaparelli



Today I learnt about a magnificent woman, an asset to the evolution of fashion, a risk taker, a trend setter , a rule breaker belonging to the "1930's". None other than Elsa Schiaparelli. Why had I not heard of her before? She was revolutionary, she worked with artists such as Salvador Dali and Marcel Duchamp. She designed sweaters that featured knitted men's ties and handkerchiefs peaking out of pockets. " Schiaparelli's major contribution to fashion lay in her ability to override a trend and to create a unique masterpiece with a timeless appeal ". This was the inspiration I had been looking for, the burst of individuality I felt was slowing slipping between my fingers. I mean in the nineteen thirties she had already jumped, broken and smashed the so called 'box' of society in that era and created a skeleton X-ray sweater while most women were wearing minimalistic subtle tones. This was magnificent, she truly was a muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment